[mythtv-users] Re: Does transcoding remove commercials?

Matt Vollmar matt at vollmars.com
Mon Nov 29 15:27:59 UTC 2004

Don Brett wrote:

>Thanks for the instructions.  I tried it and it created a huge file
>(bigger than the original).  Did you have to do anything special to make
>it work?  All my record settings are at default except:
>
>Horizontal size    - 640 (changed from default of 480)
>Vertical size        - 480 (same as default)
>Bitrate                 - 4500 (same as default)
>Max Bitrate         - 6000 (same as default)
>Audio Bitrate      - 128k (changed from 385k)
>
>On the transcoder setup, I made the settings for every both transcoders
>match the above.  Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Don

One thing that is different in my setup is that I have a software
encoder (MPEG4), whereas it sounds like you have a PVR-x50.  In the
transcoder settings, make sure you choose to transcode to MPEG-2.  If it
is set to something different (like RTJpeg), it will re-encode
everything and from what I've heard, RTJpeg is bigger than at least
MPEG4.  Plus it will take much longer because it is re-encoding, rather
than just trimming.  I may not totally understand what is going on under
the covers, but I know it has worked well for me once I set everything
properly.

Matt