[mythtv-users] Newbie needs help finding IVTVCTL for PVR-350

DStumpfElm at aol.com DStumpfElm at aol.com
Mon Nov 29 16:37:39 UTC 2004

In a message dated 11/24/2004 6:38:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> writes:

>On Wednesday 24 November 2004 10:47, DStumpfElm at aol.com wrote:
>> (sorry about prior post - here it is again with hard
>> returns.  also -- I am using fc2 and the ivtv install
>> process that Jarod recommended.)
>>
>> Hello all-
>>
>> I've been running Mythtv for a few months after
>> following it for a few years.  I am a complete linux
>> newbie and although I have spent literally hundreds of
>> hours working on this and googling, I still have
>> problems with basic linux things like finding and
>> running programs.
>>
>> I am running a PVR-350 but using an Nvidia TV-Out
>> because it was simpler.  I would like to be able to
>> migrate to the PVR-350's TV- Out, and also try to get
>> the S-Video in working so I can capture my home movies.
>> The threads I have found refer to ivtvctl to control
>> the PVR-350, but I cannot find that program on my
>> system, and I can not figure out how to get it.
>>
>> I have successfully loaded ivtv and the box is working.
>> I used Jarod's instructions and found them great but
>> did have to supplement the information with several
>> other searches to understand what was going on at
>> times.
>>
>> Should ivtvctl have been installed with the normal ivtv
>> install?
>
>Yes. On my box:
>
># which ivtvctl
>/usr/bin/ivtvctl
>
># rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/ivtvctl
>ivtv-0.1.10-48.3_pre2_ck100zz.rhfc2.at
>

>--
>Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
>jcw at wilsonet.com
>
>Got a question? Read this first...
>     http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>MythTV, Fedora Core & ATrpms documentation:
>     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/

Thanks so much for the quick reply, Don & Jarod, and hope you
had a good turkey day.  The install I had was already
compiled, so the walkthrough was very helpful.  I decided to
part.  This time, it did seem to properly install.

I was able to test the card, and get my video camera's svideo-
in working (on a dummy channel 98) in addition to testing the
regular coax in.  very cool!

As an aside, my original install was toward the end of October
when there were ivtv problems, and I had to do a funky
alternate install procedure that I picked up off the list.
Since I didn't really know what I was doing, I can't share it
with others.  Maybe the packages I used were not the correct
ones, but more likely I just screwed the install up.

Anyway -- retracing the ivtv part of Jarod's guide worked fine
for me now.

Dave