[mythtv-users] Re: very interested in building my own pvr

Neil neil-on-mythtv at restricted.dyndns.org
Mon Nov 29 18:59:44 UTC 2004

Preston Crow writes:

> For HDTV playback, you want an nVidia card.  I use the FX 5200 because
> it's the most powerful fanless card I could find.  It was $52 at
> newegg.com at the time.

Am I correct that the FX2000 has a DVI out that will connect to my HDTV
mitsubishi het?

What if I only like to build a machine that will just be a gateway between
my OTA and HDTV set? Something like the diagram below:

Off-Air-Antenna on roof---->coax---->linux---->HDTV mitsubishi-DVI port

> The HD-x000 card does the HDTV (ATSC) capture.  The PVR-x50 does
> low-definition capture (NTSC).  They're completely separate signals.
> Generally you want both cards, assuming you want to record both HDTV and
> regular TV.

Is pcHDTV-x000 card dependent on PVR-x50 cards when recording HDTV signals?
I know you mentioned that they're separate. Or is it the software that
records the capture to disk?

> And remember that you can only record broadcast HDTV.

Yep, it's ok. It's because, I don't want to subscribe to a service like
Tivo.

TIA,

Neil