[mythtv-users] Yet another hardware (whole setup) advice thread!

Darryl Wisneski - ski myth at skicentral.tv
Mon Nov 29 20:08:22 UTC 2004

Matt G wrote:
> Sometime in the next 2 months I plan on building a new Myth system.
> I'd like to get some advice and clarification so I can plan this out and
> get the results I'd like.  First here's the background:

....snip...

> Now the questions:
>
> 1. I plan to watch DVD's and downloaded HDTV and other content through
> myth too.  If I get a new HDTV is it possible to do direct DVI to DVI
> output?   If so how difficult is this to get working?  If not what's the
> next best option? VGA to Component converters?   Is there such a thing
> as VGA (or DVI) to coax?  That way if I can't get the new TV right away
> I could use it with my current TV too.  What's a good TV to look at that
> meets my specs  (sub $2,000)?

I too only have a budget cable-ready TV from circa, 1999.  I have my
GeForce FX5200 svideo out linked to an RF from Radio shack which outputs
coax to my cheap TV.

> 2. To save some money I'd like to make my new Linux server (full
> tower... lots of fans) a front end as well.  There might be an option to
> silence it somewhat in a cabinet....  Any advice on this?

Can't have your cake & eat it too.  Given stuff in question 3, you
prolly need to separate your mythbackend onto a separate server & have a
separate box as your mythfrontend.  You also will probably be better off
putting all the LAN infrastructure stuff on yet another server box,
especially if you are planning to get into HD signal processing that
must be done in CPU.

I have a combo frontend/backend box sitting in my entertainment center
and all it does is mythtv.  After two months of research I opted for the
  antec overture system unit (full ATX).  You can't hear the damned
thing - except for the hard drive when the thing is sucking down TV (the
room has to be silent to hear that).  I didn't mod the case at all.  The
cpu is an XP 2600.  It looks nice, a bit like a VCR.  Soon enough, the
VCR & the dvd player will be history.

I have an application server working separately that handles my
infrastructure.

> 3. My Linux server does everything; firewall/router/QOS, SMTP/IMAP /w
> anti spam/virus, DHCP, DNS, SAMBA file server, SFTP, SSH, Web server /w
> MySQL DB (intranet).  I plan on adding VPN functionality and also making
> it a backup server for client PC's.  I may also make it a VOIP
> (asterisk) server and a home automation server (Mister House).  Given
> all that what kind of load can I expect from Myth?  Right now it's not
> much.  (And yes I realize it would be better to have some SOD's but more
> servers = more expense and time, this is for a home)
>
> 4. Is a Nvidia Nforce based motherboard the way to go?  Nvidia Video
> card too (model)?  Onboard digital audio output decent on those?

I opted for the ASUS "A7N8X-E Deluxe" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset
Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-478&depa=1

I picked up the FX5200 Video Card to match.
MSI nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP,
Model "FX5200-TD128"
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-127-103&DEPA=1

The realtek chipset Realtek ALC650 6-Channel is plenty good.  It all
works great so far using Jarod's (FC2).

Full ATX worked for my desire for future expandability.

-dkw

mythtv - guarantee you right to fast forward