[mythtv-users] Re: Trouble installing k3b

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net
Mon Nov 29 21:54:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 10:28:06AM -0600, Lane Schwartz wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:20:46 +0100, Axel Thimm <axel.thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, when I rebooted, X decided that it didn't want to
> > > start.
> > >
> > > I can log in remotely, and I've verified that mythbackend is still
> > > running fine. Not sure at this point whether it'll be simpler to try
> > > and debug this or whether I should go for a reinstall. Hmm...
> >
> > Better debug. Did you have the nvidia drivers installed (and
> > upgraded)? Otherwise could you have a look in X's log to see where the
> > X server crashed? I'm quite sure it's nvidia and then it's my fault.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry for the delay - I was gone this
> weekend for the Thanksgiving holiday.
>
> I believe I did have the nvidia drivers installed prior to doing an
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Looking through synaptic, here are the nvidia rpms that I have installed:
>
> kernel-module-nvidia-graphics6629-2.6.8-1.521
> kernel-module-nvidia-graphics6629-2.6.8-1.521smp
> nvidia-graphics4363-libs
> nvidia-graphics6106-libs
> nvidia-graphics6629
> nvidia-graphics6629-libs
> nvidia-graphics-helpers

Did you call

nvidia-graphics-switch 6629

Are all rpms up to date (or does apt-get upgrade suggest updating
nvidia)?

> Hope we can get this figured out. Otherwise, I'll probably do a
> reinstall tonight or tomorrow.

I don't think that will be neccessary only for fixing up the nvidia
issues. Make sure you have the latest rpms and the
nvidia-graphics-switch chooses the right driver. Then reload the
nvidia kernel module and restart X (or simply reboot).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net