[mythtv-users] The real basics...

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Mon Nov 29 22:07:04 UTC 2004

On Monday 29 November 2004 04:43 pm, Bill Sutton wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm just embarking on this journey you all call MythTV.  I guess by now it
> has turned into morbid curiosity.  Oh well, enough with the small talk.
>
> 1.  Where can I go to get some basic definitions like:  What is a frontend
> (I think it is the User Interface part), What is a backend, etc.  Perhaps
> if I am so ignorant to ask these questions I shouldn't try.

The front end is the user interface part...  The whole thing can be thought of
as being comprised of a few different parts (which can, but do not have to,
be on the same machine).

Frontend - yes, the GUI interface (talks to the backend)
Backend - handles recording and tracking scheduling, updates, etc.
Database - where all the info is stored

This does raise the guestion of should we add a glossary to the documentation.
While Bill has figured out that the frontend is the gui, I could see the
relevance to other things that people may want to look up.

--

Bill Chmura
Director of Internet Technology

p: 888.560.YWEB (9932)