[mythtv-users] The real basics...

nate s nate.strickland at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 22:10:55 UTC 2004

1)  Short answer:  The frontend is the part that plays, and the
backend is the part that records.  Long answer: The backend(s) record,
manage connections to frontend(s,) schedual recordings, interface with
the database, flag commercials, encode, transcode, etc.  The frontends
are the user interface, and do things like connect to the LIRC daemon
to recieve remote codes, as well as play back the actual video file.

2)  I don't know much about FC, but it sounds like you need to
configure a window manager.  (well, actually, if you're only using the
box for myth, you really don't need to, and can just continue with the
installation.)

3)  AFAICT, that should install the kernel sources?  Again, not very
familar with FC.  You can check if they're there, in case FC3 installs
them by default (which would make a lot of sense, really) by doing ls
-l /usr/src

-Nate