[mythtv-users] Re: FC3, HD3000, and udev

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 17:02:36 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:51:22 -0600, Neil
<neil-on-mythtv at restricted.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Hello,
> Mercury Morris writes:
>
> > I'm trying to write some rules for placement in the directory
> >
> >   /etc/udev/rules.d
> >
> > for a HD3000 card.
> >
> > The card and its drivers installed without too much trouble
> > on a new Fedora Core 3 system and the card actually works.
> > It's possible to watch live HDTV and record HDTV programs
> > on the disk.
>
> This is very interesting. Where are you watching, PC or HDTV set? What cards
> are installed on your box? What is the specs?

Very interesting indeed.  After all the troubles with trying to
install a HD3000 into a working MythTV system, I gave up
and built a new system. Eventually, someone will resolve
the tuner conflicts and we can all mix HD3000s with PVR250s.
But not today.

What am I watching?  Just a small window on the monitor for now.
I could try to hook up the S-Video output from the FX5200 card to
the Audio/Video receiver - but that probably won't work.

Another idea is to use a VGA conversion device - I forget the
names of any right now, and hook that up.  Watching and
recording HDTV right now is low priority.  I just want to get
the box working smoothly, steadily, consistently.  Then I'll
decide whether to go back to MythTV, or just write some
PerlTk scripts to manage recording and playback.

I have no use whatsoever for the TV Guide data from Zap2it.
All I want is a VCR replacement, that can handle NTSC as well
as ATSC.

After weeks of frustration and discouragement, yesterday was
quite a triumph - HDTV - in the house - for the first time - on a PC!

There is only one card installed - a HD3000.  The specs?  The CPU
is an AMD Athlon XP 3200+, 1GB main memory, A7N8X-E Deluxe
motherboard.  If you want to know how to form commands for
watching TV, recording TV, etc., that is too much to write here.

I have used getatsc combined with mplayer to watch live HDTV.
The xine-hd package included with HD3000 drivers scares me,
won't even try to install it.  mplayer alone will play recorded programs.
Finding all the settings and options for sound is quite a trip, a fun trip
in the end.

I also used dtvstream - Google for it and download it.  Very nice,
with a good set of options for recording using the cron facility.

--
MM