[mythtv-users] problems installing mythtv in gentoo, does not compile (and with 2.6 kernel + lirc)

nate s nate.strickland at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 14:56:50 EDT 2004

Hi.

I have lirc working well on gentoo so maybe I can help.

For refrence I'm using kernel-2.6.9-rc1-nitro4 (nitro sources have in
some ways replaced love sources, even though love sources still has a
release every so often.)  I'm using the ir reciever on my leadtek
winfast tv 2000 delux with the lirc_gpio kernel module.

I have had some problems getting it to work though so this might help.

When you get the could not connect to socket, the first thing to do is
see if lircd is running (by, say, pgrep lircd, and if you see a number
it is.)  If it's not, then try starting it from a terminal to see it's
output.

Now, if you're using a serial device or something else this may be
different for you, but I found that for some reason udev was not
creating the right device node.  I had to issue the command to make it
manually every startup.

Also, somewhere in my troubleshooting I started using a manually
compiled lirc instead of the one in portage, so I don't know if  that
might help.

Also, in my case, lirc_gpio doesn't like to be modprobed before bttv,
so I loaded them manually too.

I finally got it working by putting this in my /etc/init.d/local.start:

modprobe bttv
modprobe lirc_gpio
mknod /dev/lirc c 61 0
/usr/local/sbin/lircd