[mythtv-users] Questions about widescreen support for TV

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Mon Oct 4 17:52:40 EDT 2004

Hello,

Didn't find anything useful in the archives on this; if it's an FAQ that I
missed, I'd appreciate a link to a good resource on it.

I am driving a widescreen tv via a VGA connector. XFree86 is set up to
output at 1280x720, and works great for 4:3 TV and 16:9/4:3 movies (via
mplayer). The 4:3 programs are not stretched, which is the behavior I
want. However, when I watch TV shows that are displayed in widescreen
(Stargate Atlantis is a good example), they are shown in normal 4:3 mode -
IE, there are borders around all four sides. I can expand it to fill the
whole screen using the widescreen button to get to '4:3 Zoom', but that
cuts off the GUI display on both the top and the bottom.

Is there a better way to get widescreen support for TV shows? It'd be
really nice if there was something automatic, too.

My shows are recorded via IVTV, if it matters.

Thanks!