[mythtv-users] Group advice sought on setup please.

Jonathan Link jonathan.link at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 18:06:17 EDT 2004

On Mon,  4 Oct 2004 09:59:44 -0600, mark at onnow.net <mark at onnow.net> wrote:
<snip>
> 2) How many TV cards?  Record and watch a different channel would be great.  So
> two?  Two 350's?

Just to be clear, if you intend to use the 350 for TV Out, you really
don't need more than one. One 350, and any number of 250's should be
just fine.
> 3) S-Video.  Should I use the S-Video on the PVR-350?  Or get a graphics card
> with TV-OUT too? I want to be able to watch DVD's on this too if that makes a
> difference.  Can I watch a DVD on this box using the S-Video out on a PRV-350?
> I have read some that say not.
I have an RCA VGA-Component video connected to my video card, which is
a cheap video card and works fine (Geforce 2 MX).
> 4) What processor speed do I need?  I want great performance.
Performance to do what, watch TV, record TV, both?  I ran a system
with 2 PVR250's on a PII 400 w/ 256 MB RAM.  I could watch, and record
two shows without too much problem.  Sometimes watching would pause,
but it wasn't intolerable.  The PVR 250's will do the bulk of the work
of recording, if you have a 350, it'll decode the stream for viewing.
<snip>
> Software/OS:
> 1) I am a RedHat fan.  However, I will use what ever works best.  KnoppMyth?
> Again, looking for ease of install/use, but still want full featured.  What
> RedHat version is most supported?  FC2?  I have also read some howto's on SuSE
> 9.1.  That would be an easy install if MythTV was happy there too.

Jarod has THE guide for FC1/2.  Helped me, being a relative linux noob.

<snip>

-Jonathan