[mythtv-users] Tv Overlay with Nvidia and Sony HDTV

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 7 20:09:16 UTC 2004

On Thursday 07 October 2004 11:30, Cory Tucker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to piece together my MythTV box and I'm almost there.  I have
> two problems remaining, 1) I can't get any audio (I'll save that one for
> later) and 2), I can't get my display to not have overlay on my TV.

I believe you mean overscan, not overlay.

> I have an Nvidia GeForce4 4400 using DVI out to my Sony 57" HDTV.  I've
> tried many different modelines from Jarod's guide, and a couple other
> sources, but I just can't get it to not overfill the screen.  I'm using
> the latest nvidia drivers (6111).

Have you looked at how I'm doing this in my HD xorg.conf file? (I just updated
the version posted on my site in the last few weeks). Basically, there isn't
any easy way to not overscan, so you have to run a lower resolution inside
the timings for an actual HD resolution. For example, I'm now using xrandr
with an 880x480 mode inside 540p timings for the GUI and a 1760x960 mode
inside 1080i timings for HDTV playback.

> Does anyone know how I can fix this?  Is it even possible, and if not,
> what should I do?

If it isn't possible to do what I just prescribed (not certain, I have no DVI
on my HDTV, but I think it *should* work), then just adjust the frontend size
and offset in the Appearances section so it fits the viewable area.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...