[mythtv-users] Tv Overlay with Nvidia and Sony HDTV

Aran Cox spin667 at mchsi.com
Thu Oct 7 20:23:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 11:30:41AM -0700, Cory Tucker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to piece together my MythTV box and I'm almost there.  I have
> two problems remaining, 1) I can't get any audio (I'll save that one for
> later) and 2), I can't get my display to not have overlay on my TV.

I think you mean overscan.

> I have an Nvidia GeForce4 4400 using DVI out to my Sony 57" HDTV.  I've
> tried many different modelines from Jarod's guide, and a couple other
> sources, but I just can't get it to not overfill the screen.  I'm using
> the latest nvidia drivers (6111).

You should try adjusting the overscan settings on your TV.  Look in your
manual or try to find the service manual for your television.  avsforum.com
has mountains of information on this kind of thing, although not much is
specific to linux and you will have to put up with *blech* a forum.

> Does anyone know how I can fix this?  Is it even possible, and if not,
> what should I do?

It's possible but it's a tweaky kind of process and you might spend some time
at it.  I tried to adjust the overscan on my HDTV and basically what I discovered
is that by the time I had shrunk the display down to fit all on the
screen I had created some distortions in the image so I set it back to the
defaults.

You can also experiment with the GUI size settings in mythtv.  Basically you're
wasting a little resolution doing it that way but you don't have to know
how to tune your TV.

Good luck...

Aran