[mythtv-users] Almost there

Matt Hannan matthew.j.hannan at verizon.net
Thu Oct 7 22:21:07 UTC 2004

Jarod Wilson wrote:

> On Oct 6, 2004, at 18:50, Matt Hannan wrote:
>
>> Well, I cleaned up the xorg.conf. Removed all the references to the TV.
>>
>> I scheduled a recording earlier today via mythweb and was very happy
>> to see that it actually captured video when I got home tonight.
>> No sound, tho. I guess this is a big deal with the 0.16 release of
>> MythTV and those of us not using OSS. Has there been a solution yet?
>>
>> Also, I have video in LiveTV now. Buried in the TV Settings setup,
>> there is a check box for the PVR-350. It was not set. Once I checked
>> it, I got a picture!
>>

>> Could this have something to do with the lack of sound in MythTV? I
>> have sound in every other app, tho.
>> My MythTV is set to use /dev/dsp.
>>
>> # ls -l /dev/dsp*
>> crw-------  1 name root 14,  3 Feb 23  2004 /dev/dsp
>> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root    root      3 Jun 21 18:38 /dev/dsp0 -> dsp
>> crw-------  1 name root 14, 19 Feb 23  2004 /dev/dsp1
>> crw-------  1 name root 55,  0 Feb 23  2004 /dev/dsp56k
>>
>> Also, I am having issues with the msp3400-ivtv not loading on boot. I
>> have to manually enter "modprobe msp3400-ivtv" every time I reboot.
>> How can I get this to load automatically?
>>
>> Thanks for any and all help.
>

> Add a line to modprobe.conf like so:
>
> install ivtv /sbin/modprobe msp3400-ivtv; /sbin/modprobe
> --ignore-install ivtv
>
> If you already have an install ivtv line (for lirc_i2c), you'll need
> to combine the above with it, like so:
>
> install ivtv /sbin/modprobe msp3400-ivtv && /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c;
> /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ivtv
>
> Or something like that. I believe you could also simply move the v4l
> msp3400 out of the way and rename the msp3400-ivtv module to msp3400.

NG, good buddy. That borked things up nicely!

Oct  7 09:59:40 wilbur modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command for ivtv
Oct  7 09:59:40 wilbur modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command for ivtv
Oct  7 09:59:51 wilbur modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command for ivtv

This is the ivtv section of my modprobe.conf:

#IVTV Section
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
#install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c
install ivtv /sbin/modprobe msp3400-ivtv && /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c; /sbin/modprobe D--ignore-install ivtv

The remarked line near the bottom is what I had before. Should I use
that as a model and add in the msp3400 stuff, or am I just not getting
what is happening here?
Also, I think I like your idea about renaming msp3400.ko and symlinking
msp3400-ivtv.ko to it.

Matt