[mythtv-users] Help with ivtv & sbp2 mass storage on bootup

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Oct 8 00:43:44 UTC 2004

On Thursday 07 October 2004 11:35, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > Just saw something else from another M179 user saying that bumping to
> > the very latest firmware has improved picture quality significantly,
> > maybe it'd help w/initialization and/or longer-term picture quality
> > also. I need to try that out myself...
>
> Has there been new firmware recently?  I thought that the Hauppauge
> Windows drivers had been updated but that the firmware in them was them
> same, though it's been a while since I checked...

There was a new one just a bit ago, its now in a .inf file, instead of in the
driver itself. I believe someone updated the firmware versions page in the
ivtv wiki w/details...

[snip]
> > My guess is that your problems would go away if you had sbp2 loaded
> > from your initrd.
>
> Actually, it seems like the problem is more a question of the sbp2
> module being loaded too early.  I suspect that the module gets loaded
> before my 1394 host adapter card is fully initialized; if that's the
> case, I'd suspect moving it even *earlier* in the boot sequence
> wouldn't help.

Let me clarify why I said put the sbp2 module *and dependencies* in your
initrd. You can explicitly tell the initrd to load up the firewire card
drivers from there before loading the sbp2 module. Basically, just:

1) cp /boot/initrd-<kernel version>.img ~/
2) mv initrd-<kernel version>.img initrd-<kernel version>.img.gz
3) gunzip initrd-<kernel version>.img.gz
4) mkdir /mnt/initrd (or where ever else you like)
5) mount -o loop initrd-<kernel version>.img /mnt/initrd
6) cd /mnt/initd
7) cp /path/to/spb2.o lib/ (repeat for other modules)
8) vi linuxrc (add lines just like the ones in there to load up the modules
you just copied over)
9) cd
10) umount /mnt/initrd
11) gzip initrd-<kernel version>.img
12) mv initrd-<kernel version>.img.gz /boot/initrd-<kernel version>.img
13) reboot, see what happens, rinse and repeat if necessary

I had to reboot a few times to get all the modules incorporated for loading
the PVR-350's frame-buffer from an initrd (so I could get rhgb on it), but
there shouldn't be quite as many dependent modules for sbp2. You might also
want to back up your original initrd while you're at it, just in case.

> Or, it could be my external 1394 device that's taking
> its time; either way, I think "modprobe -r spb2 ; modprobe sbp2 ; mount
> -a" in my rc.local might do the trick.

That'd require a lot less hacking. :-)

> Thanks again for your suggestions.

No prob.