[mythtv-users] Re: Transcoded file not playing back on PVR-350 out

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Oct 8 21:52:38 EDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 05:50:46PM -0700, nate s wrote:

> Can the pvr 350 not play non-mpeg2 things at all?

The 350's hardware decoder only understands mpeg2.  There is
evidence that the decoder can by "short-circuited" and you can
shove a YUV stream into it as well, but driver support for
that's still in early stages of development.

> I was under the impression that it could, just with a simple
> framebuffer, and thus high cpu useage.

You can use either the framebuffer or the ivtvdev Xfree86
driver.  In either case, the CPU has to do the
decoding/decompression. People report better performance from
the ivtvdev Xfree86 driver than from the framebuff.  (I've only
ever used the ivtvdev Xfree86 driver.)

> Also, I believe that even though it's not transcoding per say,
> it's still the transcode utility that's used to edit out the
> commercials.

It can change bit-rates and resoultions, so I'd say that's
transcoding.

--
Grant