[mythtv-users] HDTV on Myth -- is it a "myth?"

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Sun Oct 10 23:09:56 UTC 2004

Joe Barnhart wrote:
> Doug -- Are you outputting to a 1920x1080i device?

Yes.  I can use either a 1920x1080i mode with no deinterlacing, or
1920x540p with bob deinterlacing; they look basically identical until
you activate a zoom mode (at which point bob looks better since the
interlaced mode is no longer line-for-line).

> I also see severe
> problems with 720p input streams.  They play at half
> speed, with unlistenable sound stuttering, with both
> Xv and XvMC on my system.

Have you read the recent ALSA discussions on the -dev list?

> Given the potential advantage of hardware-assisted
> MPEG decoding, I'm rather surprised that few people
> (and no developers?) are using XvMC.

XvMC is a PITA because of the way it barely fits into the Myth video
output architecture.  You can't apply filters; you have to deal with the
fact that there are fewer in-flight video buffers (frames); seeking is
more difficult because the decoder has to have all the reference frames
for non-I frames, etc.  Software decoder is just more flexible.

-Doug