[mythtv-users] HDTV on Myth -- is it a "myth?"

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 06:21:44 UTC 2004

--- Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> So did you rebuild Myth against the down-graded ALSA
> libs? I'm not
> certain it made a difference here or not, but I made
> sure to do so on
> both systems that had problems and now don't.
> Enabling extra audio
> buffering was the other key for me.

I first went with 1.0.5rc1 with no change, then 1.0.5,
also no change.  I can get 720p playback to work,
sometimes, with Xv and "extra buffering" (and downhill
with a tailwind).  XvMC never works at 720p, buffering
or not.  The tables turn at 1080i, with Xv not able to
keep up without sound gaps and stutters and XvMC able
to play pretty well, except for the jaggies and
freezing when the OSD comes up.

As I recall you are using a modeline other than
1920x1080i, aren't you?  Are you doing the 540p thing
like Doug?  I wonder if I'm taxing my system just a
smidgen more, with hardware just a little less capable
(Athlon 2800+, nForce2, 1G dual-channel memory,
GF4MX).

I guess I could pile on more hardware to make Xv work
at 1080i without choking on the audio.  Its so darned
wasteful, tho, having all this nice hardware assist
and leaving it turned off!  I'd eventually like to
have a system with three or four capture cards, so I
want to use my cpu cycles sparingly.

Do you think it would help to recompile everything
(kernel, myth) for Athlon instead of 586 or 686?  (I
doubt it, which is why I haven't done it yet.)

On the other hand, I just want to get a stable working
system, so maybe I'll trash the mobo and get an
Athlon64 and let someone else worry about XvMC.  Don't
take this wrong, but in a way I'm sorry you fixed your
problem.  ;-)  It was nice having a lead blocker who
is so well known in the Myth community.  As a
newcomer, I don't expect to be taken as seriously.

Joe Barnhart

P.S. Here's another observation.  Setting chmod u+s on
mythfrontend, XvMC uses about 55% cpu playing 1080i
and has sound gaps every two seconds.  When I chmod
u-s the cpu goes down to 37% and it plays without
gaps.  Weird.