[mythtv-users] HDTV on Myth -- is it a "myth?"

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Mon Oct 11 16:50:51 UTC 2004

Just a couple thoughts/comments.  The ratio of HDTV to regular TV myth
users is much smaller, I'd say less than 3%.  Most people on these lists
also only stick around while they are having problems.  Also, once most
people get their HD setups working they drop off the list and go on with
life.  I think there are only 30 or so people who use HDTV that are on
the list here, and many are read only people.  Your problem is not
unique, it's just it takes time to track down the problem.  HDTV takes a
lot of resources and every CPU, MB, and hard drive will effect things.
I run 3 HDTV tuner cards and record about 20 shows a day.  My backend
hasn't crashed in 2 weeks (Before that cvs update it was every 1.5 weeks
or so).  There was a several week period where even I had problems
getting playback working well.  After a year of completely despising it,
it has since become my friend.  I run an athlon 2600 and 333mhz FSB, and
an nvidia fx5200.  I have to run XVMC to get 1080i de-interlaced.  For
almost a year I went without de-interlacing but several people have
improved this and it works very well.

 The only problems I currently have is when watching high-res and
seeking I get audio drop out when the OSD disapears.  .. That's it.  And
this is on a athlon 2600.  I very much do NOT recommend this setup and
if I had to do it over again I would go with a P4 3.2Ghz.  The reason is
I have several non-myth related issues that come up from time to time.
Doing backend and frontend on a single 2600 has some bandwidth problems.
When watching HD and recording 3 shows at once, and commercial detecting
is a lot for any system.  P4's hyper threading helps quite nicely with
keeping audio sound dropouts down when seeking.  My system locks at
times when stopping recording 3 shows and starting recording 3 new
shows, and when I'm watching a movie via mplayer, the movie stops for
2-8 seconds.  I also see much more video stuttering with mplayer.  The
fact is, HD is not a little thing.  I've had problems with data
throughput even with a 5 disk stripped raid system that moves about
100MB a second because recording 3 shows, commercial detecting one, and
watching another is simply too much for my motherboard's FSB to take,
period.  I also had more problems until I revamped which PCI/AGP cards
use which IRQ's.

 My point I guess is, HD is right on the boarder of what current systems
can take, and in my personal experience it's not JUST cpu that matters,
it's your system bus.  They are not all created the same, and every
person doing HD will have things slightly different which can cause odd
problems.  My experience tells me that running an 800mhz FSB and a P4
3.2Ghz does a lot better for reducing chances of problems.  But then if
you're willing to take the time like I did, you can get something
working as I did.

 The ideal setup is a 1-2Ghz backend holding the HD cards doing the
recording and a frontent only carrying about display and streaming
things over the network.  This setup would be very hard to have
bandwidth issues on either system.

 I do believe HD in myth is ready, and has been.  Things are tweaked and
broken.  XVMC has more problems now with seeking than it used to, but
this is temporary.  Also, if you're running an older version you may
want to grab CVS and if you have a question if it's in a good state or
not e-mail me and I'll let you know.  Rarely am I more than a week past
CVS and I'll almost always find a bug if it's there.

 Oh, and BTW, here is the compiler settings I use.

-O3 -march=athlon-xp -m3dnow -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse
-fomit-frame-pointer

 And if you want about a 10% speedup, use gcc 3.4.  I did for some time
but I went back to 3.3 because I was trying to find out of 3.4 was
causing seeking issues, it wasn't, and I've been to busy to change
symlinks to 3.4 (mostly forgotten to).  3.4 should be fine and in fact
next build I'll be back to 3.4.

Hope this gives some insight... Oh, I just remebered, last night seeking
did lock the frontend.  And a quick tip is even though you don't see the
text, hit the save possition button and it will save it, restart the
frontend and go... I saw this problem once in 5 hours of watching 50
shows (my weekly tv review session).  This is a known problem too, it's
just time to fix it, but it's so minor I overlook it. :)

--Brandon