[mythtv-users] HDTV on Myth -- is it a "myth?"

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Mon Oct 11 16:58:53 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 10:10:30AM -0600, John Patrick Poet wrote:

> <snip>
>
> 5) Recording, Watching and Commercial flagging could not all be done at the
>    same time.  That system was just too slow.
> 6) Xv is better than XvMC -- if you have enough horsepower.
>
> John

My experience has been with XV, I could commercial detect 1-2 shows if I
was not de-interlacing on my 2.6Ghz.  When using XVMC, I could commercial
detect from 4-7 shows at once without much stuttering.  I believe most
of this stuttering was more data over the bus rather than CPU because I
would see pauses even when the CPU was not maxed.  Now that myth lets
you pick the # of shows to detect/transcode at once and I set it to 1,
stuttering has vanished.  But again, if you're running backend and
frontend on the same system you are likely not going to be able to run
XV without stuttering, unless it's a P4 3.4 or faster.  You do give up
some quality with XvMC but not much, and I recommend it for anyone who
is running a backend on a frontend.

--Brandon