[mythtv-users] custom frequency table: .ivtvrc location

Rutger Hendriks Loial at home.nl
Mon Oct 11 18:34:23 UTC 2004

Hi list,

I've setup Myth to use a custom channel change script and in this script I run
ptune.pl with argument '--freqtable custom -c $1' to use the custom
frequencies defined in my .ivtvrc file

I was thinking, since I run mythfrontend as user mythtv, I should place
this .ivtvrc file in /home/mythtv, but if I do that, channel changing doesn't
work because ptune.pl gives the error:
Error:  Channel = '52' does not exist in Frequency Table 'custom'!

5 lines above this, it says:
 config file = '/.ivtvrc'

aha! so I have to put the .ivtvrc in /
Indeed this fixes channel changing

I've let the custom channel change script also run 'whoami' and the result of
that is 'root'

My question is, why is it root when I run mythfrontend as user mythtv and
permissions on mythfrontend are:
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 2226880 Sep 11 11:16 /usr/bin/mythfrontend

and why does it then look for /.ivtvrc and not /root/.ivtvrc, since it is user
root that's running it?

Thanks,
Rutger Hendriks