[mythtv-users] Performance issue

Robert Kulagowski bob at smalltime.com
Mon Oct 11 20:44:04 UTC 2004

>I would expect a Cel 2.4 to give
>performance 25% better than the PIII/733 or the PIII/800 lines above.
>I would not expect your system to be capable of recording and viewing
>live tv at the same time.  I'm building my first Mythbox from my
>Athlon 800, but I'm using a pvr-250 (or a 350) as my base encoder to
>reach the performance needed.

That's a good guess, but not accurate.  A Celeron 2.4 Ghz has a _lot_
more performance than a PIII/733Mhz.  While the cache on a Celeron is
smaller than a full P4, the core is the same.  And Celeron "D"s have
increased the onboard cache - older P4 celerons had 128K, the Celeron
"D"'s have 256K and run on a 533Mhz FSB.