[mythtv-users] HDTV on Myth -- is it a "myth?"

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Oct 11 21:34:38 UTC 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 09:58, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 10:10:30AM -0600, John Patrick Poet wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > 5) Recording, Watching and Commercial flagging could not all be done at
> > the same time.  That system was just too slow.
> > 6) Xv is better than XvMC -- if you have enough horsepower.
> >
> > John
>
> My experience has been with XV, I could commercial detect 1-2 shows if I
> was not de-interlacing on my 2.6Ghz.  When using XVMC, I could commercial
> detect from 4-7 shows at once without much stuttering.  I believe most
> of this stuttering was more data over the bus rather than CPU because I
> would see pauses even when the CPU was not maxed.  Now that myth lets
> you pick the # of shows to detect/transcode at once and I set it to 1,
> stuttering has vanished.  But again, if you're running backend and
> frontend on the same system you are likely not going to be able to run
> XV without stuttering, unless it's a P4 3.4 or faster.  You do give up
> some quality with XvMC but not much, and I recommend it for anyone who
> is running a backend on a frontend.

~2.2GHz proc churning along nicely here w/Xv (Athlon XP 3200+, 400MHz FSB,
dual-channel DDR-400 RAM, GeForce FX 5200, nForce2 motherboard). Combined
frontend/slave backend, does all commercial-detection on HD content without a
stutter while playing back 720p or 1080i without a flaw. OSD fades aren't
always perfectly smooth when commercial-detection is also running, but
acceptable.

I've only got one card, so I'm not taxing the PCI bus nearly as much as
Brandon, but I'm definitely looking to add a pcHDTV HD-3000, especially if I
can manage to get some of my cable HD channels with it in addition to the OTA
I get right now...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com