[mythtv-users] mpeg2 playback performance issue makes no sense

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 12 15:06:03 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 10:27, Michael J. Lynch wrote:
> Ah ha....See comment below.
>
> Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> >If you really want to see how Myth's internal player performs,
> > instead of trying to trick Myth into playing it as a recorded TV
> > program, simply use MythVideo ("Watch Videos").  There is a setup
> > option that lets you configure the player command to use for this;
> > apparently you have yours configured for mplayer (the default,
> > IIRC).  If you change this to "Internal", it will use the internal
> > player without the need to fool Myth.

[snip]

> I've searched the archives and asked the question several times and
> this is the first
> response from any of my posts that tells me how to do this.  Thank
> you.

Note that (last time I checked) the internal player still needs a little
work.  It still has some issues with seeking in certain types of files,
notably AVI containers, and I've noticed that I get bad interlacing
artifacts when playing back my Xvid .avi movies.  Of course, I'm about
a month behind CVS right now, but I don't recall seeing anything on the
-commits list that addressed this.  (JDS, if you're reading this, are
there any updates in this area?)  Also, you'll want to build a
seektable for your mythvideo files.  You can do this by running
"mythcommflag --video <filename>".

-JAC