[mythtv-users] HDTV on Myth -- is it a "myth?"

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 12 18:02:17 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 07:48, jack wrote:
> [...]

Huh. I wish I could get 85s... But I'm ecstatic when my high 60s stations
occasionally come in over 70. The local NBC station is really pissing me off,
they're right on the border of recordability during prime-time (signal
fluctuates between 47 and 53 usually), so I keep missing shows when the
signal is a touch low at program start time (the recording never starts). Fox
also sits right on that threshold, which is making watching the MLB playoffs
a bit annoying, but after a few tries (in Live TV mode), I can usually get it
to lock on.

> I am almost 50 miles away from the tower, for some reason I don't
> think my high 85 equals one of your low 60's =p

Dunno. I should add that 20 miles outside Seattle also includes hills, very
large trees and spotty weather that impede my signal, so distance isn't the
only thing to factor in. I'd take 50 miles and clean line of sight over what
I've got. :-) I have a massive directional yagi antenna on my rooftop (w/a
10ft mast extension), about 100ft of RG6-QS and a decent signal amp, and
still rarely see any station bump over 70. I still have some excess cable to
cut out of the picture (I moved my TV, need to drill a new hole in the
house), and I'm now investigating a better quality signal amp to get me over
the 50 hump w/NBC and Fox...

Judging from the issues Kyle Rose was having getting HD to work on his dual
Opteron, maybe you have some other issues w/the Athlon64 there?... What is
processor usage like while playing back a stream?

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...