[mythtv-users] Why only numeric IP addresses work?

Phill Wiggin wigginp at mantech-wva.com
Tue Oct 12 18:58:44 UTC 2004

Scott Mazur wrote:

>I'm going to re-drege this thread.

I haven't seen this thread before, so my response may have already been
covered/refuted, but here goes:

Set your DHCP server to give out IPs based on the MAC address of the
client and associate that IP with the correct hostname _on the DHCP server_.

For instance, my WRT54G (Sveasoft firmware) gives dynamic IPs based on :
xx:xx:xx:xx (MAC) 192.168.x.x (IP) mythbox (Hostname)

Any person that gets a dynamic IP on my network will automatically be
able to resolve mythbox via the built-in nameserver on the WRT54G.  At
least that's the theory.

(Assuming my above answer isn't correct and Myth _won't_ check DNS for
the correct IP, why don't you just give your Myth backend a static IP?)

Out of curiosity, why doesn't your Myth box have a static IP? I can't
imagine any reason _not_ to have it static. I could see how the
frontends could stand to be dynamic, but why the backends?

--Phill W.