[mythtv-users] Re: mpeg2 playback performance issue makes no sense

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Oct 12 21:12:23 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 04:37:45PM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

>> I don't believe that my laptop has Xv support when booted from
>> the Knoppmyth CD.
>
> Well, there you go.
>
>>> laptop displays are notorious for these kinds of things.
>>> Mplayer (& xine, I think) both support alternate output
>>> methods like SDL,
>>
>> Xine and mplayer were both running under X.
>
> Yes, they're running under X, but that wouldn't necessarily
> preclude them from using the SDL output method.  Also, were
> you running them full-screen?  Because that's where you'd see
> a difference.

IIRC, they would run either full-screen or in a window.  I do
remember having to specify an aspect ration of 4:3 to get
mplayer to horizontally stretch the 480x480 frame generated by
the PVR-350.

> Both Xv and SDL support the ability to use your video hardware
> to do scaling.  This is necessary because usually your display
> is not running at the same resolution as the decoded video.
> If you're using your CPU to scale the video from, say, 720x480
> to 800x600, that would explain your CPU usage.

In my case, it would have been from 480x480 to 1024x768, but I
see what you mean.  I'll have to re-do my experiments and take
more careful notes.

--
Grant Edwards
grante at visi.com