[mythtv-users] Why only numeric IP addresses work?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 12 21:37:58 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 13:45, Scott Mazur wrote:
> Yes, I could set my myth server to a static IP in a second, but that is not
> the point.

No, its not the point you're trying to make. However, I'd like to repeat that
as a general rule, any server machine should have a static IP.

> The reason the machines on my network have host names and
> dynamic IPs is so that I don't have to fart around with the IP addresses
> every time I add or remove some hardware.  There's a reason why host names
> exist.

And there are also reasons why servers should have static IP addresses. DNS
isn't the most reliable thing in the world, and it also introduces overhead
that is often best avoided by using straight up IP addresses. And if your
DHCP server goes kaput, your server could end up without any IP at all.

> It's not a network configuration problem.  It's reasonable expectation that
> Myth understand domain names as well as IP addresses.

I agree that it would be nice if in the setup configuration dialog you could
put in a host name. However, while you and I may both have DNS records for
our internal networks, I fancy most Myth users don't. In fact, many users run
on a stand-alone box, so they never change things from pointing to 127.0.0.1.
And I never even thought twice about simply inputting my master backend's IP
address. In short, its just not a feature in high demand, so if you want it
sooner than later, I'm guessing you get to write the code, which I have a
feeling the developers would tell you is reasonable expectation. :-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...