[mythtv-users] Question -- Attempting MythTV Build with LFS

David Collett david.collett at dart.net.au
Wed Oct 13 02:44:48 UTC 2004

> The only PVR system which has DXR3 support is Freevo via FFMPEG.

Not quite, "VDR" is a very nice PVR project for dvb cards, it can output
to DXR3 (also via FFMPEG), which works very well.

> Freevo is somewhat slower because it's written in Python vs compiled C++
> for Myth.

I must try Freevo, being a big python fan myself. I like the Freevo
philosophy. Freevo is just a lightweight gui and is completely dependant
on other applications such as mplayer for media playback. I wont comment
on "slowness" except to say... no.. I wont say anything :) In any case,
hardware requirements should not differ between mythtv -> freevo,
certainly not because of python :)

I use mythtv obviously, so dont take the above as 'anti-myth'. Myth
seems to be more mature atm, and will always be more integrated (at the
expense of greater complexity). I'm gonna keep one eye on Freevo tho :)

> The DXR3 support is buggy but it works and has the same
> drawback running non mpeg2 video through a PVR-350 does.  You have to
> transcode non-mpeg2 on the fly to mpeg2 which is pretty CPU intensive.
> The DXR3 guys also don't seem to be going anywhere fast due to a serious
> lack of documentation for the chip thanks to the crappy support from
> Sigma for open source.

Once I got the module parameters right, I never had a problem with my
dxr3. TV-out (svideo) quality was much much superior to NVIDIA
tv-out(svideo). Still useless for mythtv mind you.

Dave