[mythtv-users] Onboard sound full-duplex ?

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Wed Oct 13 17:03:18 UTC 2004

Hi there list,

I have an issue with my onboard sound card which is on my VIA KT400 board.
Upon first attempts I got the impression it could not handle full-duplex, so
I quickly added a PCI soundcard to circumvent that.  Now however, I plan to
add another (a second) BT878 card and I'm rapidly running out of PCI slots.

I have to put two BT8x8 cards in, two promise 100TX2 are already in place for
the extra harddisks, so I will not have room for two soundcards, only one...

So can anyone either confirm or deny that this card is not suited for full-
duplex mode, or maybe give tips / hints on how to get fullduplex working on
it ?  (a definitive Yes/No on the full-duplex mode -availability would
already help a lot).

The card is reported by lspci as this:

00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235 AC97
Audio Controller (rev 60)
        Subsystem: AOPEN Inc.: Unknown device 01b0
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
        I/O ports at e800 [size=256]
        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

Maybe there is another solution I just thought of:  If you can make sure that
mythtv _always_ uses Card_1 for playback, there should be no problems,
right ?  Can that be done or is that infeasible ?  I think that would be
impossible, seen as one cannot predict which card is free at which time,
correct ?

Failing all that, I'd need to convert to a 4-port SATA card (which would also
entail expensive new SATA drives! :-(( ) or any other solution, like a new
mainboard with more slots or other onboard sound or something.
I'd really like to avoid that, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance,
Maarten