[mythtv-users] Having trouble importing mc.sql into MySQL.

sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com
Wed Oct 13 18:10:57 UTC 2004

I'm in the process of setuping up MythTV for the first time.
I'm currently at http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html in the setup.
I'm having trouble importing mc.sql into MySQL.
I'm running Slackware 10.0 on an Intel Pentium III machine.

root# mysql < mc.sql
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: NO)
root# mysql --user=mysql < mc.sql
ERROR 1044 at line 1: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'mythconverg'

I lack "any" relational database experience. What am I doing wrong?
Prior to this step I performed, which is not necessarily part of the setup instructions:

        unremark the line: #SKIP="--skip-networking" out of /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld
        chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld
        su - mysql
        mysql_install_db

   ### start output of mysql_install_db ###
        Preparing db table
       	Preparing host table
        Preparing user table
       	Preparing func table
        Preparing tables_priv table
       	Preparing columns_priv table
        Installing all prepared tables
       	040903 15:02:01  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

        To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
       	to the right place for your system

        PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
       	To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:
        /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
       	/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h www password 'new-password'
        See the manual for more instructions.

        You can start the MySQL daemon with:
        cd /usr ; /usr/bin/mysqld_safe &

        You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench' directory:
        cd sql-bench ; perl run-all-tests

        Please report any problems with the /usr/bin/mysqlbug script!

        The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
        http://www.mysql.com
        Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at https://order.mysql.com
   ### end of output to mysql_install_db ###

the contents of mc.sql:

CREATE DATABASE mythconverg;
GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;