[mythtv-users] Re: Why only numeric IP addresses work?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 13 21:44:52 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 13:27, Scott Mazur wrote:
[snip]
> > What happens if the
> > DHCP server croaks? All of a sudden, none of your servers have any
> > IP address (once their DHCP lease expires)...
>
> What happens if your myth server croaks?  All of the sudden you miss
> recording 9 episodes of I love Lucy and none of your TVs work.  So what?

I was speaking more generally about servers, not specifically about Myth. As
in, what if your DHCP server dies, and now your company web server and mail
server are off the map.

> Larger networks DEPEND on DHCP.  Just ask the 100,000 or so subscribers to
> the local telephone internet service.  It's all DHCP.

Those are not servers.

> I'd trust a DCHP
> server to keep working long before I'd put any bets on a Myth backend.

And I trust a static IP on my web servers and mail servers to keep working
when the DHCP server stops working.

> Besides, even if the DHCP sever goes down, what have you lost?  The myth
> backend doesn't care. At worst, you'll miss a nightly TV guide update.

Again, I was speaking in a more general sense. A downed DHCP server could cost
a company a lot of revenue if it caused all their servers to drop off the
network.

> Whether DHCP is a good or bad idea for anything is really wasted debate.

I don't think whether DHCP is a good or bad idea was even the debate. I never
said DHCP was bad, I happily use it both at home and at work. I believe the
debate was over whether servers getting an IP via DHCP was a good or bad
idea. My position is that servers getting an IP via DHCP is rather foolhardy.

> Every network admin has a reason for doing things they way they do, and
> every network is different than any other.

My network (at work) demands 24x7 high availability, so the fewer possible
points of failure, the better. To each his/her own, I suppose. Anyhow, I
think we should stop this thread, its gone way-OT for this list.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...