[mythtv-users] weird one - channel.pl not working inside myth

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 14 05:01:42 UTC 2004

On 10/09/2004 12:35 PM, Jeff K wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas on this?  I'm still stuck on it.
>
> Thanks again!
> Jeff
>
> mythtv at codepoets.ca wrote:
>
>> I just rebuilt my myth box.  I wanted to upgrade to FC2 and myth to
>> .16.  No
>> problems with the install, but I'm having problems with my IR
>> blaster.  I
>> havne't got the blaster working in any capacity yet, but I'm really
>> close. Here's the problem;  I can run channel.pl <channel number>
>> from the command
>> line and it changes the channel on my satellite receiver with no
>> problem. However, when I try and run it from myth (I set the path +
>> script in
>> mythsetup), the blaster flashes, tries to change the channel, but
>> nothing
>> happens.  I try changing the channel by typing it into the mythTV
>> module, the
>> IR blaster flashes and the tuner doesn't change.  Really weird.
>>
>> I set up channel.pl to log the channel I'm changing it to, and that
>> works ok. It knows which channel I'm trying to change, but still
>> nothing doing.  Anyone
>> have any ideas?  Is this a weird path thing?  Do I need to set some
>> strange
>> path?
>>
>> I had a brainwave.  I tried to set the channel in /etc/rc.local to
>> see what
>> would happen.  Same thing - when I rebooted, the blaster flashed, the
>> channel
>> didn't change and it logged the right channel.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help!

It works from the command line, but not inside Myth?  Are you running it
from the command line as the same user that's running Myth or as root?

If it works for root, but not for other users, it's possible your users
do not have access to accurate enough timing information to make the IR
signal work properly.  Try executing:

echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq

as root and then testing the channel change as a non-root user.

HTH.

Mike