[mythtv-users] Subtitle (Teletext) recording and PVR-350?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 14 13:41:42 UTC 2004

On Thursday 14 October 2004 04:56, Piers Kittel wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Just confirming - I spotted someone said that MythTV can record
> analogue teletext but not DVB or the PVR-x50 cards - so I'd like to
> confirm, is it possible to record analogue teletext - especially
> subtitles - on the PVR-350?

No, for now it's analog (bttv/V4L) cards only.

> Is subtitle playback reliable?  This is very important for me - I
> have an S-VHS recorder but subtitle playback is terrible.

When I was using an analog WinTV card, it seemed to work just fine.
Eats up some extra CPU, though.

> I assume MythTV records the teletext stream and when it's played
> back, I use teletext on my own TV to access subtitles?

Wrong.  Myth records the teletext or CC stream and uses its own subtitle
rendering code (OSD-fashion) to display them.  Your TV does not need to
support teletext/CC, and it wouldn't help if it did.

-JAC