[mythtv-users] PVR to the extreme!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 15 04:54:42 UTC 2004

On 10/12/2004 10:05 PM, Mike Vega wrote:

> I know it's a WinXP software package but I just had to show you guys
> this.
>
> http://www.snapstream.com/Community/Articles/medusa/default.asp
>
> 6, count them, 6 Hauppauge PVR-250BTV (aka Hauppauge "Roslyn" board) in
> one PRV machine.  If they can do it under WinXP, why can't we.  Any
> takers?

Just installed 4 PVR-250MCE's in a friends Myth box on Tuesday.  Works
like a charm (Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB RAM).  He could get a fifth card,
but 6 is out of the question--the motherboard only has 5 slots.

IvyTV will support up to 8 cards in one machine (assuming the machine
has 8 bus-master-capable PCI slots).  It used to support up to 9, but a
ceiling of 8 allowed simplifying the code, and since even with 8, the
DMA channel will probably be swamped, the driver was simplified to
support 8.

> Also, is this version of the PRV250 supported under IVTV?  Didn't
> recognize this flavor.

That's the Conexant "blackbird" reference design.  It is *not* supported
under ivtv (it uses the wrong kind of chip).  However, Jelle Foks has
been working hard to add support for the blackbird cards to the cx88
driver ( http://www.foks.8m.com/cx88-blackbird.html ).

> If anyone has a similar setup, lets hear about it.  The SnapStream guys
> can't have all the fun!!

The fun part is trying to figure out how to improve the signal
quality...  Amplifier, better cabling/connectors.  Getting 4 digital
receivers (my preference, but he doesn't want to spend $6 x 4 each
month--plus the additional charge for digital cable instead of analog).

Mike