[mythtv-users] Anyone using mythtv on Athlon64 system ?

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Sat Oct 16 16:43:51 UTC 2004

On Saturday 16 October 2004 14:21, Martin Ebourne wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 00:23, Maarten wrote:

> Very fast. It compiles fast and it feels fast, feels noticeably better
> than similar Pentium systems to me, and seems to run cooler too. Most of
> the speed tests I've seen give it an extra 10% or so over 32 bit mode.

That's good. :)

> Well on my system with budget DVB card (Nova-T) and no hardware help,
> running at 1280x1024 (with Xv) it was using around a third of the
> processor watching live tv. Now I've got it on the G550 tv-out (640x480)
> with no kind of acceleration at all it's running at about 47% usage.
>
> So I think two tv cards would be very possible. I think it's an Athlon64
> 3000 I've got.

Maybe, maybe not.  The thing I observed yesterday is that the CPU usage
doesn't exactly scale linearly (or 'top' is not too reliable).  Recording one
stream yields just under 40% CPU, yet two streams peg the CPU at max.
The added disk I/O and PCI and IRQ usage and context-switching certainly
contribute to that. So it gets very hard to predict such stuff because of it.

Maarten