[mythtv-users] What happens to recordings if I change channel setup?

Lonnie Borntreger myth at borntreger.com
Sat Oct 16 22:32:30 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 17:40 -0400, Tyler Drake wrote:
> > Also, what happens to my existing recordings when I do that? Are they
> > untouched? Do they get bogus channel info attached to them? Or worse?
> > Just trying to make sure I don't destroy anything in the process.
>
> Your previously recorded files? Untouched. All the info stays with
> them in the DB. Even if you don't have that channel anymore.  Myth is
> smart enough =)

Except for the fact that the channel number/name shown in the recorded
program information box (at the bottom) will just include #XXXX (where
XXXX is the DB key for the previous channel information)... unless for
some reason the same key is re-used in the new channel listing, then it
could show completely bogus channel information.  But it will not harm
the recording itself.

============
Example (just happened to me):
With matching channel line-up
55 DISC Monster House .......

After changing channel line-up
#3144 #3144 Monster House .......

It would be a nice addition to MythTV to not show channel information at
all if the chanid in the DB entry for the recorded program finds no
matches in the channels table.

Since I didn't have many recordings, I just went into the database and
changed the recorded entries' chanid to the new value assigned to that
channel in the updated channel list.

Lonnie Borntreger