[mythtv-users] Control all from TV

Asciimonster asciimonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Oct 17 21:57:13 UTC 2004

Daniele Bartoli wrote:

>Can I fully control the PVR from my TV?  I would perfer not having to
>place a monitor, keyboard, and mouse next to my TV.

Yes that's entirely possible. Lirc (specifically: lircd) will allow you
to control everything in the myth. If you have a always-open internet
connection (cable,(A)DSL,T1,...) you can automate the rest using cron. I
have that set up and I never use the keyboard anymore (Unless in case of
emergency).

If you don't, you can use the lircmd deamon to move the mouse cursor
with your remote.

>Then the issue of video cards such as the PVR-250 vs. PVR 350?  Any thoughts?

Basic desision between 250 and 350:
Do I:
- want to use the TV-OUT, save loads of  CPU time and caugh up an extra
$100+ ? => Go for the 350
- don't want the TV-Out and don't care about same CPU time here and
there and save a buck or hundred => Go for the 250

Two snags with the 350:
- The hardware decoder only works in combination with TV-Out and
- Transcoding your recordings is NOT advisable, so you're stuck with 2
to 3 Gb of recording per 1.5 hours or so.