[mythtv-users] pcHDTV support for normal TV over PVR-350

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Mon Oct 18 11:50:38 UTC 2004

Anando Bhattacharya wrote:
> Hello,
> I was wondering if I could use a pcHDTV card with cable tv ( I don't
> have a cable box )? I don't mind using the PVR-350, but I wouldn't
> mind supportign the pcHDTV who have made a prodcut that is fully Linux
> compatiable. I would like to know what you guys think.

For NTSC video (non-HD), the hd-2000 card is mono-only sound; the
hd-3000 will be stereo.  They are both just frame grabber cards, so
you'd use software encoding (and thus need enough CPU to do so).

That said, you can't currently use both NTSC and ATSC (HD) modes in Myth
on the same card; you have to choose one or the other in setup.  I have
no direct experience with using the NTSC side of the card.  Maybe
somebody else has tried it and can comment.

-Doug