[mythtv-users] Stereo sound with PVR-250

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 18 13:52:20 UTC 2004

Note: please don't top-post.  See below.

On Friday 15 October 2004 17:28, Mats Cedergren wrote:
> [...]
or
> > if you're not using the tuner, does your audio input to the PVR-250
> > have a stereo plug?, or (3) your recordings are just fine, but there
> > is a problem with the way your audio output is configured, which has
> > nothing to do with the PVR-250.  To check (3), try playing a
> > recording on a different machine.
> >
> > -JAC
>

> I'm recordning from the Tuner. I have tried the same card in
> WindowsXP (the same computer, dual boot setup) and there the card
> works perfectly and I get stereo sound from all channels that
> transmit in stereo.
>
> I have not tried the recordning on another computer yet, will try
> that tomorrow, but I don't think that it will make any difference.
> When I play music or other movies (.avi, .mpg, dvd etc) i get stereo
> sound.

When you play them with what?  Myth's internal player?  I assume you're
playing them with other programs (mplayer, xine, etc).  So all that
tells us is that there's nothing wrong with your sound card or driver.

Now we need to make sure that Myth is properly configured for sound
output.  The best way to do this is to take a known good file (like a
'good' .avi or .mpg file with stereo sound) and play it using Myth's
internal player with the command "mythtv <filename>".  If you get
stereo sound here (and I bet you will), then your sound output is
configured properly within Myth.

> When I play a video captured with "cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test.mpg"
> using mplayer "mplayer /tmp/test.mpg" it reports that the file have
> two channel sound but I can hear that the sound is not in stereo.

This sounds like there's a problem with your ivtv driver setup, or with
your input source.  Since you say you've rebooted the same setup into
Windows and heard stereo, I'm guessing that your input source is OK.
Therefore I'm guessing there is some problem with your ivtv driver
setup.  Try playing with the test_ioctl program to query/change the
capture settings for your card (you'll probably need to quit
mythbackend to do this).  Specifically, look at the "-A" option, which
sets the audio capture mode to Mono, Stereo, Lang2/SAP or Lang1.  I'm
afraid this is a bit out of my area of expertise; I suppose it's
possible that something is putting your card in Mono capture mode;
perhaps your card is being mis-identified by the ivtv driver; in that
case, you might need to pass some parameters to the driver via the /
etc/modules.conf file.  You might want to ask on the ivtv-users list;
make sure to have the specific specs of your card handy (i.e., the
output of "lspci").

HTH,

JAC