[mythtv-users] Is this normal?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 19 04:37:34 UTC 2004

Mike Wood wrote:

>When I'm watching "live" TV, I see 5-6 instances of mythfrontend in Top.
> Only one of them is using significant CPU, but they are all using the
>same amount of memory.  Is this normal?

Linux 2.4 shows threads--not processes--in top and ps output.
Therefore, all 5-6 lines showing mythfrontend are actually threads in
the same "process" (what you referred to as an instance).  The memory
used is the total process memory--the values should not be added for
each thread.

Therefore, it's completely normal.

You'll see the same thing with mysqld, httpd, and many other processes
on the system.

Mike