[mythtv-users] ATI remote with FC2 / mythtv 0.16 after Jarod's guide

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 19 07:32:16 UTC 2004

Mercury Morris wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:22:08 -0400, David George <david at thegeorges.us> wrote:
>

>OK.  make bzImage seems reasonable.  In lieu of going thru
>the huge Kernel-Rebuild-Guide, I'm trying to stumble thru a
>Kernel Compilation guide from the local Linux Users Group.
>It has helped me before, but that was for 2.4 kernels.
>
>I started with the following steps, and the last one listed is
>well under way.
>
> make dep
> make clean
> make bzImage 1>>rept
>
>More later.

The build procedure for Linux 2.6 has changed rather significantly.  I
use***:

make mrproper 2>&1 | tee mkmrlog &&
make menuconfig
make 2>&1 | tee mklog &&
make modules_install 2>&1 | tee mkmodlog
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.8.1
ln -sf System.map-2.6.8.1 /boot/System.map

Note that there's no make dep (done automatically) and no make
bzImage--all 2.6 kernels use bzip2 compression.  Also, the "make
mrproper" is (still) very important, but note that it *will* remove your
".config" file--so make sure you keep a backup copy elsewhere if you
want to reuse the configuration information.

Mike

*** Use at your own risk.  ;)