[mythtv-users] Processor Requirements for different HDTV formats?

Jason potuncle at enjoyingeugene.com
Tue Oct 19 07:39:33 UTC 2004

Ok, so I am about to delve into the world of off-the-air HDTV now that
all of our local stations broadcast in HDTV. But, I still have a few
unanswered questions about how well my MythTV box is going to handle
HDTV signals.

I currently have a Pundit PIII 2.4Mhz with a PVR-350 and now have a
pcHDTV HD-3000 on order. I have read that my 2.4Mhz is going to have
some problems decoding the HDTV signal without frame drops, but I want
to know if this applies to decoding all HDTV formats or just 1080l
and/or 1080P. Also, do broadcasters broadcast in only a single format,
of does the signal received include all formats and I just choose which
one to decode? If so, how do I do so with MythTV?

Also, can the PVR-350 be of any assistance in decoding HDTV recordings
since HDTV is encoded using MPEG2 and the PVR-350 has a hardware MPEG2
decoder?

Thanks and I'll be sure to post my successes and failures for others
that tread where I will have already trodden.

Jason