[mythtv-users] Answers about pcHDTV HD-3000 support in Myth, QAM support, and more

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Tue Oct 19 17:33:28 UTC 2004

> Thanks for the FAQ!  One thing I'm still a little unclear on:  on the
> HD-2000/3000 does the NTSC tuner work as a simple framegrabber (i.e., I
> must encode in software), or does it produce MPEG encoded output like
> the PVR-250?  The ATSC stuff is already MPEG as broadcast, right?
>
> Tx,

 	The NTSC part is a simple software-based V4L device that uses a
newer revision of the BT8x8 chipset.  The ATSC is best thought of as a
1-way modem... because that's what it is.  It just takes the RF signal,
downconverts it to baseband, then demodulates it into the broadcast MPEG
stream and spews it over the PCI bus.

-Cory