[mythtv-users] mythtv newcomer.. need help setting up live tv

Evan Burrows eburrows at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 03:45:42 UTC 2004

I really need some help.. I just started setting up my myth box
recently running fedora core 2.  I have been following Jarod's fc2
installation guide but havent figured out what is wrong.  Right now
all i want to do is view live tv but i am not sure what to do to get
this done.  I ran the mythtvsetup and started to go through that.  My
PVR-350 is set to /dev/video0 but i don't know what inputs to set.  I
have digital cable and connected it to the pvr-350 card.

for the host address backend setup i kept everything defualt. I am
running the front end and backend on one machine. When it asks for tv
format which option do i choose? right now i have it set to ntsc but i
don't know anything about this stuff, the same with vbi format.  I
have the channel frequency set to us-cable and i believe everything
else was kept default.

I added the capture card chose PVR-350 option for card type
video device: /dev/video0
VBI: /dev/vbi
Audio device: /dev/dsp  .. I enabled ALSA so do i need to do anything
for this? I haven't even got around to see if the sound works since i
haven't gotten the live tv to work yet.  But i do get sound when i
play snes9x through mythtv.
Default input:  I have no idea what to set this to.  I set TUNER-0
since that made the most sense to me.
Under video sources I believe all that is working because i can do a
mythfilldatabase and go through the listings.
Under Imput connection what do i change.  I tried changing tuner 0 to
cable but I am not sure if that was what i was supposed to do.

I saved all that stuff and started up mythfronted and and selected
watch tv and the screen just goes black.  Usign Jarods guide I did run
some of the commands to set up tv out since i knew I would eventually
be goign that direction but I didn't finish it since l didn't feel
like ripping my entertainment center apart like i said before.. So i
don't know if that is what is cauign my problem.

I followed the directions for ivtv and i believe all that went out

Here is some output from my terminal when i started mythfrontenf:
[mythtv at localhost mythtv]$ mythfrontend
2004-10-19 23:37:40 mythfrontend version: 0.16.20040906-1 www.mythtv.org
2004-10-19 23:37:40 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
mythtv: could not connect to socket
mythtv: Connection refused
lirc_init failed for mythtv, see preceding messages
2004-10-19 23:37:42 Registering Internal as a media playback plugin.
2004-10-19 23:37:42 Registering MythDVD DVD Media Handler as a media handler
2004-10-19 23:37:42 Registering MythDVD VCD Media Handler as a media handler
2004-10-19 23:37:43 Registering MythMusic Media Handler as a media handler
SIP listening on IP Address 192.168.0.101:5060 NAT address 192.168.0.101
SIP: Cannot register; proxy, username or password not set
2004-10-19 23:40:06 Connecting to backend server: 127.0.0.1:6543 (try 1 of 5)
2004-10-19 23:40:06 Using protocol version 13
2004-10-19 23:40:06 Using protocol version 13
2004-10-19 23:40:06 Using protocol version 13
Using the PVR-350 decoder/TV-out
2004-10-19 23:40:10 Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
pthread_setschedparam: Operation not permitted
2004-10-19 23:40:11 Running as SUID root would allow some threads to
run with realtime priority, improving video smoothness.
2004-10-19 23:40:13 Waited 2 seconds for data to become available,
waiting again...
2004-10-19 23:40:15 Waited 2 seconds for data to become available,
waiting again...
2004-10-19 23:40:17 Waited 2 seconds for data to become available,
waiting again...
2004-10-19 23:40:20 Waited 2 seconds for data to become available,
waiting again...
bad newframes: 665 0 325 0
bad newframes: 665 0 325 0
bad newframes: 665 0 325 0
bad newframes: 665 0 325 0
bad newframes: 665 0 359 0
bad newframes: 665 0 359 0
bad newframes: 665 0 359 0
bad newframes: 665 0 359 0
bad newframes: 665 0 359 0
bad newframes: 665 0 359 0
bad newframes: 665 0 359 0
bad newframes: 665 0 359 0
bad newframes: 665 0 359 0

SO it looks like it isn't even making the connection.  Any ideas? I am
sure this will take quite a few threads to straighten out but I would
really appreciate any help i can get.. I have to justify my expenses
on all the stuff I have had to purchase to build this box to my
wife...So the sooner i get this working the better for me lol

thanks in advance and please let me know if you guys need any
additional info because i am sure i left most of the stuff you need
out.