[mythtv-users] mythtv newcomer.. need help setting up live tv

Christopher Flynn flynnguy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 13:34:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:43:18 -0400, Evan Burrows <eburrows at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok to answer some of the questions.. I have my cable input running to
> a splitter ( i am too cheap to buy another tuner card.  So one runs to
> my cable box and the other to my myth box.

That's good... it will make things a little easier.

> Is the ivtv driver needed for just tv out or do you need it to view
> stuff on your computer monitor as well?

The ivtv driver deals with the capture card. I'm not sure what else is
required with the pvr350 but you definately need ivtv to capture video
from your cable signal. Doesn't matter if you are using a monitor or
the TV-Out.

> Does mythbackend need to be running to fire up mythfrontend?  Can
> mythfrontend start if the backend isn't running?  Sorry if these are
> stupid questions.  I believe that i just followed Jarods directions
> and don't remember anything going wrong with that.  Mysql is running
> and i did a mythfilldatabase and can see all my tv listings so since i
> can see the listing does that mean that mythbackend is running or are
> those two separate entities?

mythbackend doesn't *need* to be running to start mythfrontend but if
you want to watch tv it does. (Ie. watching live tv will not work if
mythbackend is not running) The reason for this, as far as I
understand it, is that mythfrontend connects to mysql through
mythbackend to get channel information such as channel frequency
etc... If you can see your tv listings it should mean that mythbackend
is running. <scratches head>

> I will give the stuff you guys said a shot when i get home.  I will
> try to start mythbackend again and see if that was the problem. I just
> wasn't sure that since i started the process in Jarods guide for tvout
> on the pvr-350 that it changed settings so that my monitor isn't
> receiving the feed anymore.  Maybe it is working but since cards tvout
> is not connected to my tv at this time I just can't view anything.
> Would there be anything special that i needed to do just to view the
> live tv on my monitor?  In that error log i sent you guys it said that
> it was using the tvout on the 350 card, would i be able to view the
> live tv on both my monitor and tv at the same time assuming that all
> the cables were hooked up to the tv?

I know with a video card you can choose to output to both the TV and
the monitor but the PVR-350 may be different. I would try to hook up
at least the monitor portion just for testing to your TV. Maybe
someone who has a 350 could offer better help in this area.

--
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi