[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend High CPU Usage

Dana Hata estespark at 141.com
Wed Oct 20 16:41:33 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 12:19 -0400, wmunson at rochester.rr.com wrote:
> > But Watch Recordings is still stuttering horribly, even though my CPU
> > load is only about 40-50% during it.  Watch recordings is simply
> > unusable for me at this point.  I have to use mplayer or totem to
> > watchthose recorded nuvs.  Maybe it's starved for data or something?
> >

> What are you using for storage? Sounds like it could be a bandwidth issue. Do you have DMA enabled on your hard drive?
>
> There is the ability to switch the default player from the internal player to mplayer or xine. That may help.
>
> Another thing to think about is what chipset you have on your motherboard (VIA sucks) intel or nVidia based boards work well.
>
> I missed what you are using for a video card. Enabling XvMC support caused me many performace issues on my FX5200. Switching to Xv improved the picture quality and removed the minor stuttering I was seeing.
>
> Hope one of these thoughts helps.

Thanks for replying.  First, to answer your questions:

DMA is enabled.
I've got an Intel chipset.
I've got a radeon 8500LE.

Forgive me, but what is the difference between XvMC and Xv?  How do you
choose which one gets used?  I assume my Xv is working OK, because
running xvinfo gives me valid output.

And, most importantly, how do you switch from using the default internal
player to mplayer (or other)?  I've never seen this option.

Thanks again,

Dana