[mythtv-users] Question before I buy a PVR350 or 250

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 19:59:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:45:48 -0700 (PDT), Kevin dePfyffer
<listman at depfyffer.com> wrote:
> Since I'm recording a lot more shows now and know I can spit out working
> DVD's I would like to remove the 5 hour encoding time for a 30min cartoon.
> (currently using TV Wonder VE card)
> Do I have to use nuvexport (DVD) on a show recorded with the PVR 350
> before I put it on a dvd?

No, you don't have to use the DVD export function of nuvexport.

> What about the 250?

Same as above.

> Are there any other cards out there that will allow me to create a playable dvd
> that will work on a standard dvd player without encoding?

Probably. Anything that does hardware MPEG 2 encoding should work.

Here's what you need to do:

- Record using the 250 or 350 directly to a DVD-compatible format (I
can look up my settings when I get home tonight)

- If you want to cut commercials, mark the commercials from within the
MythTV frontend. Then run nuvexport and select the MPEG2->MPEG2
option. The nuvexport step takes about 3-5 minutes for a half hour
show on my 1 GHz Athlon.

- Use DVDStyler, 'Q' DVD Author, or dvdauthor to create a video DVD. I
use DVDStyler. (Hint - if you replace silence.mp2 in the DVDStyler
directory you can have an audio track in your DVD menu)

That's it! No transcoding. Unfortunately the MPEG2 commercial cutting
and DVD creation isn't yet integrated with Myth, but I think that
there's growing support among MythTV users for adding those features.

Good luck,
Lane

--
"No, we've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11."
-- George W. Bush, 17 Sept 2003