[mythtv-users] NForce2 PSU and Motherboard Poll

Dave david.collett at dart.net.au
Thu Oct 21 03:49:59 UTC 2004

My Motherboard is an Albatron KM18G-Pro (micro-ATX)

It has all 3 PCI cards full:
1x Nova-t DVB
1x DVICO Fusion-Lite DVB
1x PCI 802.11g wireless card(prism54)
I have 2x 120Gb Seagate HDD's

A fairly loaded system...

I have extremly cheap micro atx "300W" PSU...

Since I added the second DVB card and the second HDD. The machine often
boots into a state where I get DMA timeouts, causing 10sec freezes every
30sec or so :) This usually happens when cold booting. If I reboot the
system, it is usually ok again. Once it boots ok, it will work
flawlessly until shutdown.

I am absolutely, positively, 99.99% sure this behaviour is PSU related,
I have ordered a 400W Zalman which should arrive soon. Hence I think the
suggestion of 300-350W is reasonable. I think that the quality of the
PSU is important too. I have little doubt that if I had a DECENT 300W
PSU, my system would be fine.

For the record, the mobo does NOT have the separate 12V plug, neither
does my desktop mobo, an Albatron KX18D-Pro2 (full ATX nforce2). I have
had never had a problem with that board, it uses a good quality 400W
PSU. I think that if a board is designed and implemented correclty to
only require the regular connector, it should work perfectly. For some
manufacturers, perhaps it is easier/cheaper to require the second
connector??

Dave

Dave <david.collett at dart.net.au>