[mythtv-users] Re: Wife Acceptance Factor question: dealing with crashes

Jonathan Link jonathan.link at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 13:45:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:32:59 -0400, John Kuhn <kuhn at razorsys.com> wrote:
> what would help really, is a tagline at the bottom of all these emails
> pointing to the searchable archive of this list and docs and jarods guide..
Umm, Jarod Wilson does this already.  True, it's specific to his
guide, but the first one is not, and is really invaluable.

Got a question? Read this first...
    http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/
MythTV Searchable Mailing List Archive

Probably the only thing that should be added is a direct link to
mythtv.org/docs, but ya know, you'd hope that people could figure that
out.

I don't expect developers to get involved uless they're given enough
information to fix a specific individual user issue, OR there is such
a volume of problems, which are correctly documented that they've been
able to determine there is an acutal bug.  If a developer has anything
to say at all before that time, I'd be suprised if it weren't
sarcastic, terse or biting.

One thing many people don't seem to understand is that MythTV is built
on a lot of dependencies, when a dependency doesn't work, they tend to
blame MythTV (e.g. recent lirc problems on FC2).  Having an easily
installable set of packages (from atrpms.net) is a downside to
actually understanding everything that is involved, even if Jaro'ds
guide does tell you apt-get install mythtv-suite installs 50 some
items, most people don't even think about it.

> --John
<snip>

Regards,
Jonathan